Saturday, June 2, 2012

Great-Grandparents

      It was quite fortuitous and most uncommon that as a child I knew five of my great-grandparents. Growing up around kinfolk more than 80 years older than me may partially account for my interest in genealogy and tales of yore. As a youngster I found it incomprehensible that one of my great-grandfathers, Charles Brayton, was born in 1899: an entirely different century! I don't want to sound mawkish or fusty, but I feel that by virtue of accumulating so many years the elderly are owed our respect and deference, though this occasionally requires Herculean patience given their ancient eccentricities. By way of introduction to my family I present my great-grandparents in photographs.

My mother's maternal grandparents, Hugh Whitfield Williams and Lala Elizabeth Delamater, at home in Red Oak, early 1960s
My father's maternal grandparents, Edgar Lee Tate and Mary Jane Russell, Jefferson, Ga., early 1940s
 
My father's paternal grandparents, Rubye Mae Cochran and Hulett Hall Widener Sr., Masonic lodge in East Point, late 1960s
 
My mother's paternal grandparents, Grace America Tucker and Charles Reynolds Brayton, at home in East Point, 1955

No comments:

Post a Comment